Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

From Lemons To Legoland


As I sit in our hotel room to write this next blog post I am smiling in private disbelief at the events that transpired over the past week. Even though there were multiple disasters and fails, there were also moments of relief and perfect timing.

Let me back up to last Sunday when there was an unusual prediction of afternoon showers. They may have mentioned the phrase "downpour" and issued a flash-flood warning but I've never paid much attention to that in the past because nothing ever came of it. Of course my family is still staying with my mother in a mountainous region just outside of San Diego so perhaps we should have been more alert. My mother has lived in her home for over 15 years and has never had flooding issues but at 2:30pm last Sunday the water came in from 3 separate doorways and completely saturated her entire house. We had quite a lot of boxes and tools stored in the garage and house that were damaged. My mother had just put in new floors and those were ruined. I could go on but I won't...

Pictures of the house after most of the water is gone:



Also, for a fun twist I had a 9 hour major dental appointment scheduled for the next day. So after the tiring events of Sunday where we worked non-stop for 6 hours to contain and then get rid of the water in the house, I was off to get my super fun dental work whilst my husband dealt with the aftermath. The dental appointment went fairly well which is to say I survived. To add a little more spice to the mix, I have to remain on a mostly liquid diet for the next week or so.

It is only after my Dental appointment that my husband relays the fact that will have to vacate the premises so the damage can be repaired. We don't have our fifth wheel yet because we are waiting for the owners to receive the title from their bank before the final purchase can be made. 

We are homeless again. 

My husband and I frantically look for hotels to stay at all the while wondering what we can do to entertain a 2 and 4 year old in such a small space. Suddenly my husband turns to me and says, "we might as well go to Legoland." Eureka! Let's just turn this disaster into something awesome!

We buy a cheap Motel 6 hotel room by Legoland and purchase tickets to the park through our local Military Base and we're off!

We arrive at our hotel and it's like a 10ft x10ft shoebox but we brush that off and set out to Denny's next door to enjoy dinner. The kids are acting up because they've been cooped up too long so we decide to make it an early night and start fresh in the morning. 

This is the picture of our hotel room from the website. It's deceptive because this looks more spacious than it actually is, lol.

We arrive at Legoland just after they open at 10am and foolishly went to the first ride we saw. We waited in that line for 45 minutes and only made it half way through. It was hot and our kids were melting down. I wish I had taken a picture of the pre-teen staff who all looked miserable to be there and moved like molasses. All I could think was "THIS IS NO DISNEYLAND!" We just left the happiest place on earth last week and now we're in HELL! I'll just cut to the chase, we did 2 reluctant days at Legoland (because we paid for a two day park hopper pass) where the kids managed to have a decent time and then we decided to return to San Diego and stay at a local hotel where I am currently writing as we speak. 

There were many times that my husband and I wanted to give up and break down but we just kept going because we had faith that everything was going to work out. Right on que, the sellers called to tell us they received the title for our 5th wheel and we will be taking it home on Sunday. With all the work that needs to be done on my mom's house, it's nice to know that we will have our own home now and just in time. 

Here are all the pictures of Legoland. Try and spot the annoyance, lol.

This picture says it all :)




Boys are having fun firing water at the passing pirate ships
Aquarium



Meltdown in progress

The best seafood restaurant in town! 

No comments:

Post a Comment